Rafiki is a baboon who serves as the shaman of the Lion King.
Random Rafiki Facts:
- Old but spry,
- Rafiki is tall in stature and thinly built
- lanky limbs and a hunched back.
- His main pelt is scruffy and blue-gray in color, while his chest is pale gray.
- Both his hands and his feet are coated in black fur, his palms a pinkish-brown
- His muzzle matches his palms in color.
- His face is pale blue, broken only by sky blue cheeks, navy blue eye rims, and a bright red nose.
- Like most mandrills, he sports a puffy white mane and a long goatee of the same color.
- His eyes are bright yellow, and his teeth are unexpectedly sharp.
Though referred to as a "baboon," Rafiki is modeled after a mandrill, bearing the same general coloration and markings as the rest of the species. However, unlike most mandrills, Rafiki has a long tail and lacks a distinctive crested head. Because of this, his animators often refer to him as a "mutant."
About Rafiki -
At his core, Rafiki is a royal adviser, able to utilize his shamanistic abilities and deep wisdom to benefit the many kings of the Pride Lands, from regal Mufasa to still-learning Simba. The old baboon appears to have abilities that none of the other characters understand, as he can read omens and signs in the wind and communicate with the Great Kings of the Past. His ability to synchronize with nature gives him a good sense of the world, clearing his thoughts for wisdom and leading him to be at the right place at the right time.